Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Grays

The Grays The Grays by Whitley Strieber


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I started this book with mixed feelings. My friend Rhon had read the book and commented on it on her blog:

Good. Very easy to read, and you care about most of the characters. What's spooky is this quotation from the back cover: "Drawing from a lifetime of
research and his own experiences...". Spooky, because this is a book about
aliens coming to Earth in collusion with the US government. I was a big X-files
fan, don't get me wrong, but the idea that Strieber has written a fictional
account of the alien conspiracy, and he thinks he has insight into the alien
mind, is enough to creep me out. Also, a lot of the characters in the book are
very pro-alien, yet he starts the novel with kids being abducted, skinned with a
rusty kitchen knife, and then put back in their skins again. What's good about
that? Either they aren't here to hurt us, or they are. How do you argue it both
ways? Oh, shades of gray, ha ha! If you read this as a novel, you won't be
disappointed. If you read it as a revelation, or veiled truths, I don't think I
want to discuss the book with you.
Another friend had also read it and thought it was good. I researched a little too much into the author and was freaked out by his accounts of his own alien abduction.

Preconceptions aside, I found this book well-written in some places, poorly written in others. There was action, a love story and enough sci-fi to satisfy most readers.

Pub. Date: August 2006

Synopsis: For decades we have been occupied by a race of aliens known only as the Grays. Now after many years of experimentation with the human race, they are finally ready to begin their complete invasion and destruction of the human race.

Recommended Reading:
2012 : The War for Souls by Whitley Strieber
The Host by Stephenie Meyer

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...