Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Dracula

DraculaDracula by Bram Stoker
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was sad that I didn't finish this book, but 2 months to get halfway through the book just seemed like a waste of my time. The story is told from multiple perspectives by way of journals and newspaper articles. The first perspective was that of Jonathan, and introduces us to Count Dracula. This was a quickly moving narrative, detailed and action filled. The next section is told from Mina's (Jonathan's affianced) and her friend Lucy's perspective. This was a slow moving section filled with monotonous details and not much information at all. I left the book just as Van Helsing and Dr. Seward joined the story. At this point the action does pick up quite a bit (a sexist hinting by the author perhaps?) but Van Helsing's monologues are long and often go no where. It was at this point that I gave up.

Synopsis: Count Dracula has inspired countless movies, books, and plays. But few, if any, have been fully faithful to Bram Stoker's original, best-selling novel of mystery and horror, love and death, sin and redemption. Dracula chronicles the vampire's journey from Transylvania to the nighttime streets of London. There, he searches for the blood of strong men and beautiful women while his enemies plot to rid the world of his frightful power.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...