Wednesday, July 30, 2014

When in Rome

When in Rome...When in Rome... by Gemma Townley
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I left this book unfinished at 110 pages. It was a painful decision, I'll admit. I wanted a light read - this is. I wanted a well-written book - this is. I wanted great characters - the author has obviously lived with this character for a very long time. But I didn't like her. At all. I found nothing redeeming about her, she was stupid, lazy, and materialistic. Which is sad, I mean I realize people like that exist (and, geesh, I've even been known to have that kind of day) but I don't want them to be the heroine. Sidekicks or protagonist, sure, bring 'em on. This just makes me sad because I really enjoyed the writer's style, the way she moved plot along, I was even entertained when I wasn't busy hating Georgie.

Summary: When in Rome, do as Audrey Hepburn would do. Failing that, run off with your ex-boyfriend, carry suspicious packages through customs, and lie to the person who loves you. . . .Georgie Beauchamp is totally happy and in love with her wonderful, dependable boyfriend, David. So why does she always daydream about running into her gorgeous ex-boyfriend Mike? It can’t mean she’s still in love with him—especially since the cad dumped her so horribly. As luck would have it, when Georgie’s daydream actually comes true, she is dressed in unglamorous sweats and carrying a curtain rod down the street, while Mike is driving an expensive sports car and looking better than Brad Pitt at the Oscars. She longs to have the glamorous life Mike can offer—and starts to think that he might want her back in his arms.

But when he invites her for a weekend in Rome, Georgie is torn. David has always said he’d take her there for the romantic getaway of a lifetime, but his work keeps him totally tied up. So she must choose: David, all comfort and reliability, or Mike, all flirtation and butterfly-stomachs. The decision isn’t too hard to make, and faster than she can say Vespa, she’s off to Rome with Mike, full of plans to frolic on the Spanish Steps and sip wine in intimate trattorias. But when David shows up unexpectedly, this roman holiday gets a hell of a lot more complicated. . . .

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...